How Does Out-of-State Representation Work in CO Family Law?

Category: Family Law FAQ

After you are divorced or split up with your child’s other parent in Colorado, you may still be subject to alimony/spousal support, child custody, or child support orders. However, life may eventually require you or your ex-spouse/child’s other parent to move out of Colorado.

This raises the question of how things will work if you and your ex need to go back to court in Colorado to deal with disputes over or changes to your alimony or child custody/support order. If you are living in another state, you may wonder whether you will need to physically return to Colorado to go back to court, or whether you will need to hire an attorney from Colorado; can you hire an attorney in the state where you or your ex now live to represent you in a Colorado family law matter?

Although family court orders seem like the end of the matter, inevitable changed circumstances for you and your family will likely require you to return to court to amend or terminate your family court orders. If you’ve since moved out of Colorado, you may be experiencing serious concerns about how you can effectively assert your rights and interests from another state. At Halligan LLC, our compassionate family attorneys can help you represent your and your family’s rights and interests in a Colorado proceeding even from out-of-state

If you have questions about how out-of-state representation works in Colorado family law proceedings or want to know more about your rights and options if you or your ex lives outside of Colorado, let an experienced family law attorney from Halligan LLC walk you through your rights and options and help you understand what the process of a family law proceeding in Colorado looks like if one party currently lives out of state.

Call us today at (720) 608-2361 or fill out the contact form on our website today to schedule a consultation to go over the details of your case with us.

Attending Family Court Hearings after You’ve Moved Out of State

If you previously lived in Colorado but have since moved out of state after a Colorado family court issued an alimony, parental responsibility, or child support order, you may be surprised one day to receive notice that your ex has requested a hearing to amend or terminate that order. You might quickly panic over having to take time off from work, secure childcare, and travel back to Colorado to attend the hearing.

And if you currently don’t have an attorney for your family matter in Colorado, you may also worry about securing legal representation to help protect your rights and interests. But trying to hire an attorney in Colorado when you live in a different state can prove incredibly difficult; it can be hard to fully evaluate an attorney and determine whether he or she is right for your case simply communicating over email, phone, or videoconferencing.

Remote/Virtual Attendance at Out-of-State Court Hearings

If you currently live out of state but are being required to attend a family court hearing in Colorado for a child custody, child support, or alimony matter, you may have alternatives to in-person attendance in court if you cannot travel to Colorado. The court may permit you to participate in the hearing via telephone or videoconference. If you have hired an attorney located in Colorado, the court may also excuse your personal attendance if your attorney is attending the hearing in your stead.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will either of us need to return to Colorado from out of state to attend a family court hearing?

Although courts typically prefer that parties appear in person for proceedings, the court can permit one or both parties to appear and participate in proceedings via telephone or videoconference if the party can demonstrate that it would be extremely difficult or impractical for him or her to travel to Colorado to attend in person (for example, if a party has a health condition that makes interstate travel difficult or dangerous).

If I fail to appear at a family court hearing in Colorado because I’ve moved out of state, can any resulting orders be enforced against me?

Yes. So long as you received notice of the hearing, you are obligated to appear at the hearing or to make alternative arrangements for your participation.

Contact a Denver Family Law Attorney If You Live Out-of-State and Need Help with a Colorado Family Law Matter

When you need a dedicated advocate to represent your rights and interests in a Colorado family law proceeding when you live in another state, Halligan LLC can provide you with the comprehensive, focused legal representation that you deserve.

Contact our firm to schedule a consultation with one of our Denver family lawyers to discuss your rights and options and to learn more about the process of a Colorado family law proceeding when you are located out-of-state. Call (720) 608-2361 or fill out the contact form on our website to discuss your situation with us today.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Contact Form
Disclaimer: The use of this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Read What Our Clients Say About Us

Client Testimonials

    I am so thankful to have had Gavin, Laura, and the rest of Halligan LLC in my corner during a very difficult process. At the end of the day, I can honestly say that I got almost everything I desired including a great parenting plan that will allow me to have as much time with my son as possible.

    I give them my highest possible recommendation. My divorce had some complicating factors including children, a variety of asset types, and partial ownership of a business which needed to be addressed. Gavin and her team were always knowledgeable and prepared for every step in the process.

    Simply put, Gavin made my ex-wife's lawyer look like a guy who got his degree from a mail order catalog! Though he supposedly had been in practice for 30 years, Gavin mopped the floor with him! She countered every demand that my ex and her lawyer made with law that backed my position and she gave me awesome advice on how to respond to their attempts at extortion. In the end, my ex ended up with less than she had before she got greedy.